Saturday, April 30, 2011

Got A Job Where I Can Wear Hosiery

I got a job where I can cannot wear hosiery. Read the remainder of the blog entry for the details of what happened. Read an update for what is now happening.

At first, it was supposed to be a volunteer opportunity, as an ESL teacher, but they ended up hiring me.

I saw an ad in Craig's List, under the volunteer section, where they offered $10/hour, which is $10/hour more than the average volunteer job, so I pretty much jumped on it. I think that they just placed the ad in the wrong Craig's List location. They were looking for a Christian to teach in their Bible college, and since I have a religious ministry degree, and ESL certification, it turned out to be a great deal for them. I was the only person to show that I was a Christian.

Since I expected it to be a volunteer position, I did not put much effort into dressing up. I just wore a sporty t-shirt, my most casual grey shorts [which were faded and worn out], grey opaque hosiery, and white runners.

Right now, I'm supposed to only teach for 9 hours, in 3 days, each week. There is usually only 1 ESL student, because the other students have work. I think that it is important for me to make a good impression, so I really ought wear my nicer shorts and hosiery.

3 comments:

  1. It is great to hear of forward thinking, open minded and progressive employers. You are doing a remarkable job of pushing the boundaries of social acceptance; keep up the good work and good luck with your new employment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on getting a job. Have fun teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rob.

    Thanks, sheergeek. It's quite challenging to find these opportunities. Pushing the boundaries is harder than I thought.

    ReplyDelete