Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Volunteer As An ESL Tutor

This will be a good opportunity for me to practice my teaching skills. Even if I cannot learn anything new, at least, I can prevent myself from getting rusty.

Read the remainder of this blog entry for the specifics on how it will benefit us.

I have only volunteered a few times, yet I noticed already that many of the young girls want to become airline stewardesses. This surprised me, because I thought that it was widely recognized that the job would mean a lot of nights away from home, and long work days. I asked them about why they want to be airline stewardesses. It seems that they like traveling and they like the uniforms. I took the opportunity to ask them about how they felt about wearing hosiery. After all, so many western women moan and groan about how uncomfortable it is. These young girls tend to disagree. They seem to think that tights and pantyhose are comfortable. This is exciting news.

1 interesting conversation I had was with a girl who had a college major in hospitality management. She said that they had to wear business suits as uniforms in college, and that they had to swim in the water to practice saving people. I found that remarkable.

For the last half month or so, I've been arriving 45 minutes late to meetings or missing them altogether. It's been real bad. To remedy this, I've really been pushing to arrive an hour earlier to everything. When I arrive an hour earlier to teach ESL, I can make good use of my time, by going to a nearby business library to read about running a small business. Other than the obvious benefit to that, I can also spread the idea of men in hosiery, when I show up.

Therefore, I have 2 attempts at showing the world what we wear: once at the ESL club, and once at the business library.

You'll probably find this hard to believe, but even in a 1-on-1 situation, while wearing opaque hosiery and shorts, people still don't notice. When I asked a girl about "this", she was surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment